Friday, June 17, 2011

How time flies...

...when you are in PARIS.  I apologize for the delay in my posts; Paris has just kept me so busy. Since my last post and the start of classes, my life has just been non-stop! I have seen Giverny, the home of Claude Monet, Paris via boat ride, the Eiffel Tower, Disneyland Paris, and many other things. The second week of classes was a bit difficult. Naturally, I missed everything and everyone from back at home....a little more than I had in the 2 weeks before then. All I could think about was going home and counted the days till I returned to the Heart of Dixie. Thankfully, I had found ways to occupy my time; I went out, met new people, and also went to Disneyland. I stopped thinking of the things that I could be missing at home and finally realized all the awesome things here in Paris. Since then, I have been much happier and the couple weeks after that haven't seemed to drag.---sure I can't wait to go home, but right now, I am in not rush.

There has only been one thing that really has bothered me since I have been here; this past weekend, I went to Montmartre and the Sacre-Coeur for the first time ever....and it was so OVERWHELMING. There were little vendors on the streets and little gambling/risk games. When I arrived at the base of the Sacre-Coeur, there were a BUNCH of "string bracelet" men. They were standing in a line waiting at one of the landings on the stairs. The string bracelet men tried to trap you into paying for a stupid bracelet by grabbing your arm and not letting you go---while not letting you go, they start to make a string bracelet on your wrist.....and then INSIST that you pay for it----even when you didn't ask for them to make one. ANYWAYS, to continue on with my story, so I see all the string bracelet men lined up, just WAITING to trap someone into paying. So I just minded my own business, tried not to pay attention to them.... AND GUESS WHAT HAPPENS? One of the men grab me and wouldn't let go. I told him to let go of me but he would. I kept walking, with him still attached to my arm---the only thing I could think of---short of hitting the guy---was to rip my arm away. THANKFULLY I got my arm free and was able to walk away. But for a split second, I had no idea what to do.....I didn't want them to get violent/aggressive with me---well more so than they had. Those men are lucky they aren't in the United States....or else people would probably press some kind of harassment charge against them.

That has been the only thing that has frightened me here/the only thing that has bothered me here. SO if you ever go to the Sacre-Coeur, watch out for the string bracelet men and their gimmicks.

This weekend I am going to Amboise.....I honestly do not know where it is, or what is there......BUT IT IS AN ADVENTURE. I will tell y'all all about it next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment